fishkeeping-iom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pico Tanks

3 posters

Go down

Pico Tanks Empty Pico Tanks

Post  Reef-Keeper-ZN Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:35 am

Hi Guys,

So who is keen to start a Pico tank?

This is truly an art and would be a nice challenge for anyone to do.

Here is a description of a Pico reef.

Pico reefs:
Another term gaining popularity is pico reef, which is used to refer to the smallest of nano reef aquariums. Most online forum polls set the range of approximately 10 litres (2.5 gallons) and below as pico reefs.[11] These tiny tanks require even more diligence with regard to water changes and attention to water chemistry because the small water volume provides little room for error. Care must be exercised when stocking these tiny tanks because too many inhabitants can easily overload the tank's ability to process wastes effectively. For the smallest of pico reefs, even the presence of a single fish is discouraged. Pico reefs often consist of live rock, hardy corals, and small invertebrates such as hermit crabs and marine snails. The keeping of pico reef aquariums has tested the extent of allelopathy, the chemical and physical means by which corals compete for space. Before the advent of these concentrated environments, it was thought to be impossible for corals of even a few mixed genera to occupy such a small shared water volume.[11]
Reef-Keeper-ZN
Reef-Keeper-ZN

Back to top Go down

Pico Tanks Empty Re: Pico Tanks

Post  cjmurphy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

It just so happens I have a new 10 litre acrylic tank which ive dismantled from my daughters room so am tempted to set up with some live rock rubble, and soft coral frags. At least I can say I have a tank then.lol.
I had a TMC 30 litre only a year ago and decided it was just too small to do anything with so a 10 litre would be miniscule.

Topping up evaporation etc would be part of daily maintenance and keeping the temp down in summer will be a nightmare. Would a 100 litre sump be seen as cheating Wink
cjmurphy
cjmurphy
Admin

https://fishkeeping-iom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Thu 16 Apr 2015, 7:40 pm

Alright lads,

Well I have to say these Pico tanks sound like a nightmare. This marine hobby is hard enough without going out of your way to make it even harder. Me and Craig both had small 30L TMC tanks and they were a waste of time and money. I am going to stick with my proven method of BIG IS BEST LOL.

Good luck to anyone who gives it a go. One bonus is a bucket of salt will last years lol!
Sean
Sean
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down